Thursday 10 June 2010

I hate being ill.

Ugh.

I've been ill since Monday and I frankly can't be doing with it. Normally when I get ill I just carry on about my business, but this seems to have just drained everything out of me. I have no idea what is actually wrong with me and I'm not going to post the symptoms or anything. Needless to say I've been running a higher than normal temperature and I've been getting very tired very easily.

(Oh – speaking of temperatures here's something that annoys me. When someone says something like "Little Jimmy can’t come to school today; he's got a temperature." Has he now? Well, so have I. 98.6 °F. Everyone has a temperature. Little Jimmy has a high temperature.)

I think the very, very worst thing anyone can do is to look their symptoms up on the Internet. I have a male friend that once typed the symptoms of an illness he had into a popular and uttered the immortal line "Doctor Google says that I have Ovarian Cancer." The Internet really isn’t reliable for that sort of thing (although I have it on good authority that some doctors use search engines to discover what's wrong with some of their patients).

The other problem is that I don't really trust local GP practices either. When I lived in Perth I was left sitting in a waiting room for nearly three and a half hours because the receptionist had forgotten to tell the computer that I had arrived. I was then told they didn't have another appointment until five days later. And then I got a bill for not turning up for my appointment! Needless to say that it didn't get paid. I have a lot more stories about that surgery, but I shall save them for another time.

Anyway, that’s enough of me complaining! I need to go and do some things; I have a new firm mattress delivered (I think it's some bricks with some fabric wrapped round them) so I should go and get ready for that arriving.

Stay healthy everyone!

And I don't want you thinking I had to use Wikipedia to find out what the average human body temperature is...

No comments: