Sunday 11 April 2010

One Of The Most Important Album Of The Last Ten Years.

Well hello there! It's been a while since my last proper blog, hasn't it? Today, as you may have guessed, I'll be talking about what I consider to be one of the most important and influential albums of the last decade; Black Cherry by Goldfrapp.

It took me a while to get into Goldfrapp. I remember seeing them on Later... playing Human from their first album and I liked it but it took me ages to buy it. I bought Black Cherry when it came out but I didn't realise what I was listening to at the time. It was the first album to revisit the 80s style electro-clam and has become very influential. Without this album we wouldn't have had some of the later Madonna stuff, Little Boots, La Roux or Lady Gaga. Some would say that this would be a good thing.

That's not to say that people have flat-out copied it; Lordy, no. People have drawn influences from it, put their own spin on it. But I'm not sure if they would have come up with the 80s clam sound without Black Cherry.

Speaking of Lady Gaga, I have a theory about her and her wardrobe. She dresses like she does (insanely) because she doesn't really have any discernible talent. Sure, she can write a tune but there isn't anything special about her songs; I certainly don't see why she's as popular as she is.

So, if I'm not listening to Lady Gaga then what am I listening to? At the moment I'm enjoying Do Whatever Turns You On by Aberfeldy, Dear Catastrophe Waitress by Belle & Sebastian, For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver, Mariachi El Bronx by The Bronx, Super Extra Gravity by The Cardigans, Vinnie Colaiuta by Vinnie Colaiuta, Plans by Death Cab For Cutie, Asleep In The Back by Elbow and Evelyn Evelyn by Evelyn Evelyn. All brilliant and well worth tracking down.

Toodle-pip!

No comments: