Tuesday 12 January 2010

Snow is thawing, all around us.

So, that would appear to be the snow going away now and - let me tell you - it isn't before time. I was trying to work out when the snow first started falling in my little corner of darkest Lanarkshire. I figured that it must have started on the 17th of December; that's nearly four weeks ago. I love snow, but not that much.

I didn't mention on the pages of this blog about the merry hell my Father and I went through on the Sunday before Christmas. We had gone to do the Santa Run. This is an annual event were we head vaguely north to Dunblane and come back via (what's it called?) Cumbernauld to drop Christmas presents off to family members. We left Dunblane and it was snowing. We arrived in Cumbernauld and it was really snowing. It then took us three hours to do what should have been a forty-five minute drive home. Admittedly we did get lost owning to Dad not knowing Cumbernauld and me having bugger all sense of direction. And we also stopped because we both needed a leg stretch and something to drink. The car needed something to drink too. It was three hours of my life which I don't want to repeat in a hurry.

What's been happening here is we get a day of snow, a day without it where you clear paths and dig cars out and then a day of snow again putting you right back where you started. It was wonderful to have a white Christmas; but I'm ready for the snow to go away now, thank you very much.

Even Glasgow has been affected. I was in there yesterday in an area that I don't normally go to and there was a lot of slow waddling along very slippery and frankly dangerous pavements. And the Outer Circle of the Underground was suspended meaning I had to do a full circle of the system to get back into town. Add onto that the train line between Motherwell and Lanark being bust and it makes for pretty tricky travelling conditions. Fortunately travelling in and out of Glasgow was a piece of cake yesterday thanks to a few lovely, lovely people.

And while I'm complaining about things a new breed of idiot has been born. I hate it when people leave shops and just stand there in the doorway blocking your entrance to/exit from a shop. However yesterday I slid slowly and inevitably into someone that got to the top of an escalator and just stopped. There was nothing I could do expect bang into the back of them and then they had the cheek to look angry with me! Idiot. What do you expect to happen when you stopped at the end of a moving conveyer belt?

Look on this at the first rant of the New Year. Anyway, must go. Things to do...

No comments: